Total Pageviews

Friday, January 13, 2012

Saint Hilary of Poitiers - January 13

Saint Hilary of Poitiers
Bishop
Doctor of the Church
(c 315 – c 368)

"Much ink has been inconclusively spilled debating whether reason can prove the existence of God. But without doubt reason can carry a person to faith, as it brought St. Hilary of Poitiers to Christianity. A gifted pagan rhetorician, Hilary observed that human beings had been placed on earth to live virtuously and be rewarded for it. Such thinking led him to make a rational inquiry about God. He dismissed polytheism as illogical and determined that God was one and eternal." (Bert Ghezzi, Voices of the Saints: A 365-Day Journey with Our Spiritual Companions, page 116)


Prayer of Saint Hilary of Poitiers
O God, may all my thoughts and words speak of You.
Fill with wind the sails I have hoisted for You,
and carry me forward on my course.

Breathe Your Spirit into my faith
and the way I confess it.
Enable me to continue
the preaching I have begun. 


___
Art
Saint Hilary of Poitiers - Parmigianino

No comments:

Post a Comment