Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton - The First American Saint

Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton
The First American Saint
1774-1821
January 4

“Unite me to yourself, O adorable victim, life-giving heavenly bread, feed me, sanctify me, reign in me, transform me to yourself – live in me, and let me live in you, let me adore you in your life-giving sacraments as my God – listen to you as to my Master – obey you as my King – imitate you as my Model – follow you as Shepherd – love you as my Father – seek you as my Physician who will heal all the maladies of my soul – be indeed my way, truth, and life, sustain me O heavenly manna through the desert of this world, till I shall behold you unveiled in your glory.” (Saint Elizabeth Ann Bayley Seton)


Elizabeth Ann Seton founded the first American religious community for women, the Sisters of Charity. She opened the first American parish school and established the first American Catholic orphanage. All this she did in 46 years while raising her five children. Canonized in 1975, she was the first American to be named a Saint.



For gifts related to the Catholic Faith please visit Lynn's Timeless Treasures 
__
Elizabeth Ann Seton - by Sister M. Fides Glass, SC - available from
Sisters of Charity Gift Shop 

No comments:

Post a Comment