Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Ash Wednesday - February 22, 2012


Ash Wednesday
February 22, 2012

 “I turned to the Lord God,
pleading in earnest prayer,
with fasting, sackcloth, and ashes.”  Daniel 9:3
Ash Wednesday begins the season of Lent where we go with Jesus into the desert to fast and pray. Our desert is most likely not the geographical location of biblical times but more likely a spiritual reality present in the silence of our heart, mind and soul. At least that is where my desert takes me. To once again use these 40 days of spiritual retreat for prayer and study of God’s precious Word. To reflect on my sins, resolve once again with the Grace of God to repent, turn away from sin, turn toward the Gospel and draw ever more near to God my Creator, His Son Jesus my Savior and His Holy Spirit my Paraclete.

“Have mercy on me, O God, in your goodness;
in the greatness of your compassion
wipe out my offense.
Thoroughly wash me from my guilt
and of my sin cleanse me.

Be Merciful, O Lord for I have sinned.
For I acknowledge my offense,
and my sin is before me always:
Against you only have I sinned,
and done what is evil in your sight.

A clean heart create for me, O God,
and a steadfast spirit renew within me.
Cast me not out from your presence,
and your Holy Spirit take not from me.

Give me back the joy of your salvation,
and a willing spirit sustain in me.
O Lord, open my lips,
and my mouth shall proclaim your praise.”
(Psalm 51)

“Remember, man, you are dust,
and unto dust you shall return.”
(Genesis 3:19)




"You have made us for yourself,
O Lord, and our heart is restless
until it rests in you." St. Augustine

No comments:

Post a Comment