Total Pageviews

Friday, December 18, 2009

O Adonai: O Lord and Ruler of the House of Israel - December 18


O Adonai: O Lord and Ruler of the House of Israel

Today is the second of the O Antiphons, O Adonai, Hebrew for Lord. Out of reverence, devout Jews substituted Adonai for the name of Yahweh, YHWH, The Great I AM. 

As Moses approached the burning bush, so we must approach the Divine Savior.  He comes to us at Christmas as a child and every day at Mass, Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity,  in the Consecrated Host.  We should  fall upon our knees and put off the shoes from our feet, for this place is Holy Ground.....we are in the presence of The Great I Am. Come Lord with outstreached hands to redeem us, Your sons and daughters, Your creation.  Show us Your will, give us the grace to follow Your Truth, Your Wisdom and Your Way. Come O Lord, Come.

O Adonai
O Adonai and ruler of the house of Israel,
Who appeared to Moses in the burning bush
and gave him the Law on Sinai:
come with an outstretched arm and redeem us.


This antiphon is based on the follwing scripture:

Exodus 3:2 There an angel of the Lord appeared to him in fire flaming out of a bush.  As he looked on, he was surprised to see that the bush, though on fire, was not consumed.

Exodus 3:5 God said, "Come no nearer! remove the sandals from your feet, for the place where you stand is holy ground."

Exodus 3:13-14 But, said Moses to God, when I go to the Israelites and say to them, The God of your fathers has sent me to you,  if they ask me, What is his name? What am I to tell them? God replied, I am who am. Then he added,This is what you shall tell the Israelites: I AM sent me to you.

Exodus 6:6 Therefore, say to the Israelites: I am the Lord. I will free you from the forced labor of the Egyptians and will deliver you from their slavery.  I will rescue you by my outstretched arm and with mighty acts of judgment.

O Come O Come Emmanuel
Latin
Veni, veni, Adonai,
qui populo in Sinai
legem dedisti vertice
in maiestate gloriae
English
O come, o come, Thou Lord of might,
who to thy tribes on Sinai's height
in ancient times did give the law,
in cloud, and majesty, and awe.
 



Blessed Advent Season

______________________
Art
Moses and the Burning Bush
Attributed to Dirk Bouts

No comments:

Post a Comment