Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Catechism of the Catholic Church – The Creed – I Believe In One God – CCC 199 - 231


Catechism of the Catholic Church*
Section Two 

The Profession of the Christian Faiths The Creeds
Chapter 1 I Believe in God the Father
I believe in One God
CCC #199 – 231 A Study


This Creed is the spiritual seal,
our heart’s meditation
and an ever-present guardian;
it is, unquestionably,
the treasure of our soul
.”
(CCC 197, Saint Ambrose)

Introduction

“Whoever says “I believe” says “I pledge myself to what we believe.”… From the beginning, the apostolic Church expressed and handed on her faith in brief formula for all … Such syntheses are called “professions of faith” since they summarize the faith that Christians profess.  They are called “creeds on account of the first word in Latin: credo (“I believe”). ... The first “profession of faith” is made during Baptism … Since Baptism is given “in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,” … the Creed is divided into three parts… To say the Credo with faith is to enter into communion with God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, and also with the whole Church…” (CCC185 – 187, 189 -190, 197)
I believe in One God

Our profession of faith begins with God,
for God is the First and the Last,
the beginning and the end of everything
.”  (CCC 198)
God alone IS

Our “God is unique; there are no other gods besides him.  He transcends the world and history. … In God “there is no variation or shadow due to change.”  God is “He who Is,” from everlasting to everlasting, and as such remains ever faithful to himself and to his promises.  The revelation of the ineffable name “I Am who Am” contains then the truth that God alone IS.”   (CCC 212-213)

God is Truth and Love

“God’s truth is his wisdom, which commands the whole created order and governs the world.  God, who alone made heaven and earth, can alone impart true knowledge of every created thing in relation to himself.” (CCC 216, Cf. Psalms 115:15, Wisdom 7:17-21)
“God’s love is everlasting.” (Cf. Isaiah 54:8) … “I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore I have continued my faithfulness to you.” (CCC 220, Cf. Jeremiah 31:3)

The Implications of Faith in One God

Believing in God, the only One,
and loving him with all our being
has enormous consequences
for our whole life
.”  (CCC 222)

“It means living in thanksgiving:  if God is the only One, everything we are and have comes from him. … It means making good use of created things: faith in God, the only One, leads us to use everything that is not God only insofar as it brings us closer to him, and to detach ourselves from it insofar as it turns us away from him. … It means trusting God in every circumstance, even in adversity.” (CCC 222-227)

Meditation
“Let nothing trouble you
Let nothing frighten you
Everything passes
God never changes
Patience obtains all
Whoever has God wants for nothing
God alone is enough.” (Saint Teresa of Jesus)

Prayer

“My Lord and my God, take from me everything that distances me from you. My Lord and my God, give me everything that brings me closer to you. My Lord and my God, detach me from myself to give my all to you.” (St. Nicholas of Flue)


Next Section Two – CCC #185-1065 Profession of Faith: Creed
Chapter 1 I Believe in God the Father – CCC #199-354
Paragraph 2 The Father  – CCC #232 - 267
___
Credits 
*Catechism of the Catholic Church Vatican Web Site
God the Father - Cima da Conegliano
Original Post of Catechism of the Catholic Church with
index

No comments:

Post a Comment