Total Pageviews

Monday, April 28, 2014

Day 53 - 90 Day Bible Reading Challenge - 2 Samuel 9 - 12 Great Adventure A Journey Through the Bible


Day 53 

2 Samuel 9 - 12 


Bible Time Period:  Royal Kingdom 
You established a kingdom on your servant David and promised him an eternal throne:  Establish your kingdom in our midst.


Prayer
David's Prayer of Repentance
I happy the sinner whose fault is removed,
whose sin is forgiven.
Happy those to whom the Lord imputes no guilt,
in whose spirit is no deceit.
As long as I kept silent, my bones wasted away;
I groaned all the day.
For day and night your hand was heavy upon me;
my strength withered as in dry summer heat.
When I declared my sin to you;
my guilt I did not hide.
I said, "I confess my faults to the Lord,"
and you took away the guilt of my sin. 

Thus should all faithful pray in time of distress.
(Psalm 32: 1 - 6) 


Reflection
In spite of David's many virtues, he was not immune to temptation.  He was consumed with desire for Bathsheba, the wife of Uriah the Hittite, one of David's officers.  He committed adultery with her, and then treacherously arranged for Uriah to die in battle.  God sent Nathan the prophet to convict David of his sin, which Nathan did with a parable that struck deep into David's conscience (2 Samuel 12: 1-6).  As a result of David's sin, Nathan declared, "the sword shall never depart from your house" (2 Samuel 12:10).  David repented, and the guilt of his sin was forgiven (2 Samuel 12:13), but he still had to pay the temporal price for his sin.  (Catholic Bible Dictionary, General Editor, Scott Hahn, page 199)



Today's Reading
2 Samuel 9 - 12

Commentary 
Discussion Boards Day 53
___ 

For items devotional items related to the Catholic Church 

Back to Index 90 Day Bible Reading Challenge

Art
Bathsheba - Sebastiano Ricci 

No comments:

Post a Comment