Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Eucharistic Miracle - Boxmeer, Netherlands - 1400



Eucharistic Miracle
Boxmeer, Netherlands - 1400
Feast Day - Corpus Christi



The church where this Eucharistic Miracle took place, in Boxmeer in southern Netherlands, was originally built around the year 1000.  This Eucharistic Miracle took place in what is now the crypt of the Basilica of Saint Peter's Church in Boxmeer.   


Eucharistic Miracle 

Around the year 1400, Father Arnoldus Groen was celebrating Mass. At the moment of consecration Fr. Groen began to doubt the Real Presence of Our Lord in the consecrated Eucharist. After he had said the words of consecration, the Wine began to bubble out of the chalice onto the corporal.  The Wine on the corporal coagulated into a lump of Blood about 1 cm in diameter. 




The relic of the Blood and the corporal were retained for veneration. In 1482 they were moved to the cylindrical reliquary shown above.  In 1650 a container was made to hold the reliquary.  This is shown below.  



Pope Clement XI (1700 - 1721), Pope Benedict XIV (1740 - 1758), Pope Pius IX (1846 - 1878), and Pope Leo XIII (1878 - 1903) held a special devotion to this particular Eucharistic Miracle.  



Today 

For years after this Eucharistic Miracle, the Boxmeerse Vaart, Holy Blood procession, would take place on Corpus Christi.  This year it will take place on May 28, 2016

In 2000, Pope John Paul II elevated Saint Peter's Church in Boxmeer, Netherlands to a basilica, which is located next to the Boxmeer Carmel at Kerkpad 4, 5831 HS Boxmeer, Netherlands. 

Why does Our Lord show Himself to us in these Eucharistic Miracles?  Possibly because each one of us is no different than Thomas who would not believe in the Risen Lord unless he saw the mark of the nails in Our Lords hands and put his finger into the nailmarks (John 20:25). 

Though I would like to say that when it comes to the Eucharist I might be like the ones Jesus describes in John 20:29, "Blessed are those who have not seen and have believed." But I must confess, I struggle sometimes, I have doubted just like  Fr. Groen did in the year 1400, in the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist. But when those doubts enter my mind I pray for the grace to believe that what Jesus said in John 6: 55-56 is truth. "For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink.  Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood lives in me and I in that person." And - thanks be to God, the Holy Spirit gives me the grace to believe that Jesus is the Bread of Life.  

When I am asked by friends (who do not believe that Catholics can truly have a real relationship with Our Lord Jesus) "Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?"  I can honestly answer, yes!! Jesus walks with me every moment of every day.  But I am also blessed with something else.  Every time I receive Jesus in the Eucharist the two of us couldn't be any closer as His Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity enters into every cell of my being and into the depth of my soul fortifying me for one more day of service in His Kingdom.  

So we do not have to go all the way to Boxmeer, Netherlands to witness a Eucharistic Miracle. Our Lord comes to us Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity every day at the celebration of the Eucharist at Mass.  

For devotional items related to the Catholic faith, please visit Lynn's Timeless Treasures.  

Index of Eucharistic Miracles

___ 
Picture of Saint Peter and Paul Church from Wikipedia
Picture of Church of Saint Peter and Paul with adjoining Boxmeer Carmel - From Carmelite website 
Picture of the reliquary of 1482 and holder for the reliquary from 1650 from Boxmeerse Vaart Wikipedia 

No comments:

Post a Comment