Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 30, 2016

Eighteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time - The Parable of the Rich Fool (Luke 12:13-21)



Someone in the crowd said to Jesus, "Teacher, tell my brother to share the inheritance with me." He replied to him, "Friend, who appointed me as your judge and arbitrator?" Then he said to the crowd, "Take care to guard against all greed, for though one may be rich, one's life does not consist of possessions."  

Then he told them a parable. "There was a rich man whose land produced a bountiful harvest. He asked himself, 'What shall I do, for I do not have space to store my harvest?' And he said, 'This is what I shall do:  I shall tear down my barns and built large ones.  There I shall store all my grain and other goods and I shall say to myself, "Now as for you, you have so many good things stored up for many years, rest, eat, drink, be merry!"  But God said to him, 'You fool, this night your life will be demanded of you; and the things you have prepared, to whom will they belong?' Thus will it be for all who store up treasure for themselves but are not rich in what matters to God." (Luke 12:13-21) 

In the Parable of the Rich Fool, Jesus shows how dangerous it is to put one's faith in riches. In his encyclical On the Development of People, Populorum progressio, March 26, 1967, paragraph #19 Pope Paul VI expressed this same danger in modern terms - "Neither individuals nor nations should regard the possession of more and more goods as the ultimate objective. Every kind of progress is a two-edged sword. It is necessary if man is to grow as a human being; yet it can also enslave him, if he comes to regard it as the supreme good and cannot look beyond it. When this happens, men harden their hearts, shut out others from their minds and gather together solely for reasons of self-interest rather than out of friendship; dissension and disunity follow soon after. Thus the exclusive pursuit of material possessions prevents man's growth as a human being and stands in opposition to his true grandeur. Avarice, in individuals and in nations, is the most obvious form of stultified moral development."



For devotional items related
 to the Catholic Church
please visit Lynn's Timeless Treasures 

___
Art
Parable of the Rich Fool - Rembrandt

No comments:

Post a Comment