Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Fifth Sunday of Easter – Love One Another

 
 
Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?” And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the law and all the prophets.” (Matthew 22:36-40)

Fifth Sunday of Easter

Today’s gospel brings us back to the upper room on the night of the Last Supper. Jesus would not be much longer with his disciples; it was as if the words he spoke that night were his dying wish. When a person is facing their last moments on earth the words they express usually have profound meaning. Our Lord’s words from today’s gospel were, “My children, I will be with you only a little while longer. I give you a new commandment: love one another. As I have loved you, so you also should love one another.” (John 13:33-34) A love that would remain impossible for humans, if it were not for the grace of God.

This commandment brings love to a whole new level. Jesus loved us so much He gave His life for us, for our salvation. Love truly is sacrifice and that sacrifice brings great joy. When I say, “I love” do I mean what God is asking?

I have so much to learn,
Jesus take my hand on this journey for it is difficult
But thanks be to God
I know with You all things are possible
 



The less we have, the more we give. Seems absurd, but it’s the logic of love….true love causes pain. Jesus, in order to give us the proof of his love, died on the cross. A mother, in order to give birth to her baby, has to suffer. If you really love one another, you will not be able to avoid making sacrifices….God has created us so we do small things with great love….I believe in that great love..” Blessed Teresa of Calcutta


For items related to the Catholic Church
please visit Lynn's Timeless Treasures

No comments:

Post a Comment