Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Divine Mercy Sunday – The Incredulity of Saint Thomas


Divine Mercy Sunday
The Incredulity of Saint Thomas

“Have you come to believe because you have seen me? 
Blessed are those who have not seen and have believe.”
(John 20: 29)

Today our Gospel reading will recount the incredulity of Saint Thomas. Blessed Pope John Paul II couldn’t have placed Divine Mercy Sunday on a better day.
Shortly after his resurrection, Jesus appeared to all of the disciples except Thomas, at which point he instituted the Sacrament of Reconciliation with His words, “Peace be with you.  As the Father has sent me, so I send you.”  And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained.”  (John 20:21-23)

Later, when Thomas encountered the other disciples, they said to him, “We have seen the Lord.”  Thomas said with incredulity, “Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands and put my finger into the nailmarks and put my hand into his side, I will not believe.”  (John 20: 25)

Thomas’ disbelief in the risen Lord is not met by Jesus with a harsh reprimanding, but with a compassionate Divine Mercy.  A week later Jesus will give Thomas what he has asked for.  Appearing to Thomas and exposing his nailmarks Jesus invites Thomas to, “Put your finger here and see my hands, and bring your hand and put it into my side, and do not be unbelieving, but believe.” 

“I do believe, help my unbelief.” (Mark 9:24)
Pray the Divine Mercy Chaplet
___
Art
Incredulity of Saint Thomas – Caravaggio

No comments:

Post a Comment